February 06, 2016

ONLY SUPPORTERS ARE LOYAL














Today it was confirmed that Lee Johnson, our first ever head coach had decided to leave just short of a year into the role, returning to Bristol City, a club where his family have huge connections what with his father Gary managing the Robins with some success from 2005-10, where Lee played under him. He now follows in his footsteps at the Championship club signing a three and a half year contract and I'd like to take this opportunity to wish him well in his future endeavours. In the brief chats I've had with Lee over the last twelve months I always found him to be a likeable, bubbly and enthusiastic bloke with a real driven, ambitious streak. It is then no surprise to me to see that he's taking this opportunity. It's brave on his part, with his new charges hovering above the relegation zone but he'll fancy his chances of being the man to steer them to safety I'm sure. So aye, no sour grapes from me. Good luck to him. 





The club have in my opinion updated the supporters brilliantly in the last couple of days as things developed following our slightly forgotten achievement of reaching Wembley on Thursday night. I'm not sure how anyone can find fault in that. Had the club stayed silent, as they perhaps have done in the past, they'd have been criticised. To see them criticised anyway for keeping us in the loop, well, it's the nature of the beast. We're all passionate, we're all in this for the same reasons - a love for BFC - but we've all got our own opinions in what is an increasingly media-driven, modern world, which gives so many platforms to air said opinions, be it blogs such as this, podcasts, twitter, facebook, forums, carrier pigeon.. I use the lot of em. Except the pigeon. I've got a kestrel instead. Obviously. 















Which brings me to the idea that our owner/custodian/saviour/pariah shouldn't be allowed to use such online social media, to air his personal views. I disagree with that. A lot of people I see complaining about his use of such things are people who credit the Peterborough United owner for his own use of social media, or those who lapped up Lee Johnson's open nature online. Not everyone of course, and I do appreciate where many are coming from regards Patrick's use of facebook, where it's suggested he should be addressing the entire fanbase, not a select few or 'tribe'. But that's very much dependent on the content, is it not? I share personal things on my facebook account that I wouldn't necessarily share elsewhere. Our owner does similar. Is he not entitled to share stories about his time at Oakwell, his career as a young man, his family and the many famous people he's come across over the years? Of course he is. 

It's the club messages he might post that annoy a group of supporters. I can understand that. But then, he's there to befriend. If you're interested in reading such stuff, as I am, then add him on facebook, it's not the elitist, secret society some would have you believe. Although in fairness, I was friends with him (on facebook) when he never posted anything. And people cried out for him to speak. He can't win really, and as I say I do see both sides of what is really a non issue. 

It's on that note then that I'll now pass on a brief statement from Mr Cryne, something I asked if he'd do this afternoon to which he obliged without fuss. He was quite happy for me to interview him in fact, and perhaps one day I'll do that but I felt for now it'd be nice to relay his brief thoughts on the breaking news at Oakwell and thus show that he's more than happy to speak to supporters. Any supporter. Those who regularly read Patrick's facebook statuses will know just how many arguments I have had on there with him. If you know me, you know I'm not gentle. I'm a blundering idiot. They say only fools rush in. I'm great proof of that. But I like to think I can argue a point well, and we've had great debates on there. We don't always see eye to eye. He's fantastic at arguing too. I await the 'arse kisser' remarks. But I can live with myself knowing I'm far from it. Here's what Patrick has to say on Lee's exit.... 
















"It is disappointing that 'LJ' has gone, but the club dealt with it well in my opinion. It is not true that Bristol City triggered a release clause to get 'LJ'. When Bristol City approached, we had the decision whether to grant permission and given that 'LJ' wanted to speak to them, we did not stand in his way. Some will feel that we should have said no and made him stay. But in my view that attitude just builds resentment and affects results. Ultimately, there is nothing to stop a manager just walking out in breach of his contract and then the predator club just steps in and pays the appropriate damages, which are often ruled by courts to be less than the compensation that might otherwise have been negotiated. It didn't come to that with LJ, he behaved well. He made his position clear and we negotiated with Bristol to get the proper compensation. 
'LJ' did a good job latterly with the license we gave him. I wish him well for the future. People have talked to me about loyalty, but things have to be kept in proportion. The only meaningful loyalty is that shown to our club. In that regard our fans lead the way. Often we are divided in our views relating to how things should be done. But when the whistle blows, we are united. That's how it should be."





Thanks to Patrick, I appreciate him giving me his time. I think I took him away from the cricket. I might not agree with everything he says or does. In fact, there's no might involved. He knows where I disagree. I think I've been proven right in his opinion on one or two things, and proven wrong in many others. I'm merely a supporter. I don't say that negatively, I say that genuinely. I only want to support the club. I have no interest in coaching, marketing or business. My opinions are based on a love for the club. I believe his decisions are based on that same love. Whether they're right or wrong. Fingers crossed he gets the next big decision right, that of appointing the next man to take the first team forward and hopefully upward. 



You Reds. 


Whitey :)





*Ahem*




1 comment:

  1. Perhaps now 'the powers that be' might take the time to reflect on their own actions, decision making processes and culpability. It would appear that LJ made a strange decision to depart! The key question has to be 'why'? The club's 'transparency', albeit an improvement on past situations, wreaks of superficiality. The fact that LJ chose to leave a team that is playing well, has a chance of making the play-offs, and forfeits perhaps a 'once in career' opportunity to win at Wembley, makes the situation even more questionable. LJ got the backing of the owner, in dark times, and came out the other side shining. Given the above possibilities, one has to conclude that either LJ's family prompted a move 'down south', or that Bristol offered a deal that he could not turn down. Alternatively, another possibility is possible. What was LJ's level of job satisfaction? Did the role of 'Head Coach' give sufficient authority in the behind the scenes decision making process or does our youthful CEO micromanage the club? It will be interesting to see how yet another deja vu situation unfolds. To my mind the club has been managed poorly at board level for the last decade or so. Evidence supporting this comes in the form of this lengthy legacy - Bassett, Spackman, Hodges, Parkin, Hart, Richie, Thordarsson, Davey, Hill, Flitcroft, Robins, Wilson and now LJ. This equates to almost a manager a year! Is it possible that an appointments committee could make over a dozen appointment mistakes in a row? If so, are they capable of making appointment decisions? The above track record would suggest that perhaps their decision making is flawed. Is it realistic to assume that all the above managers were incapable? Or is it more likely that the working conditions they were / are faced with prevent them from being successful? Until these questions are scrutinized and some sole searching is undertaken I suspect we will all be faced with Ground Hog Day yet again in the months ahead....

    ReplyDelete